Originally Posted By: grelber
a colleague advises that he can provide me with a USB stick containing the whole megillah of El Capitan. The only thing I will have to do post-installation is to separately download and install all the system and security updates associated with same. With regard to that, can anyone provide a list of the various updates I should install? And is there anything I should look out for? (Apple's El Capitan info is a tad confusing when I look at it.)

If he downloads a fresh copy, it will be the latest iteration: 10.11.6, but without the later security updates.
If he copies an older installer earlier than 10.11.6, you’ll need the 10.11.6 Combo Update (1.5 GB) that'll work on any version 10.11.x. You can (have him) download it manually with any browser or use the App Store app.
I believe the security updates include all previous security updates (cumulative), so you’ll only need one: Security Update 2017-005 El Capitan (630.4MB). You can (have him) download it manually with any browser or use the App Store app.