Mark, I appreciate the tone of the above post. I respectfully submit that it concentrates on the actions of people, and reflects poorly on the religion those people followed (or followed to some degree). It does not prove that the religion is morally bankrupt, just that the individuals are. During the same periods of time, there were other adherents of the same religions who acted nobly. I am quite sure that there are documented cases of the evil actions of people who claim (or claimed) no religious faith. That does not mean that all people with no religious faith are evil.

Similarly, think about political scandals. We certainly have many to ponder. Don't you suppose that within the administrations tainted by scandal (and try to name one in the U.S. that wasn't!) there were people who did not violate any legal or ethical standard in the performance of their duties? Of course there were! Some even resigned rather than compromise their integrity. But, which stories do we hear more about?

A side note:
I read a article excerpted from The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution in the Oct. 5 edition of Newsweek the other day. I found it very thought-provoking, in spite of author Richard Dawkins' obvious arrogance and condescending attitude towards those taking an opposite position. I would love to witness a debate between Dawkins and Francis Collins (geneticist and newly appointed head of the National Institutes of Health) who believes that evolution can be compatible with faith in God. I know that such a debate would not settle anything, but it would certainly be entertaining!

Last edited by Gregg; 10/06/09 01:05 PM.