I'll take issue with your interpretations of both "default" and "bug".

"Default" means "there's more than one option, one of them has to be default, and this is the one we've chosen", and while it may suggest a preference on Apple's part, it may also be no more than a necessary starting point, but the fact that there's an Apple provided alternative most assuredly precludes it from being mandated. (I don't know why you think different login and keychain passwords aren't supported in High Sierra when the one option's having been designated as default clearly indicates that there's another, not to mention that I reported precisely the opposite in post #46638.)

macOS is littered with defaults:
  • your desktop pic,
  • your firewall is turned on (I think),
  • FileVault is turned off (Just imagine!),
  • weird, upside down scrolling,
  • fonts, font sizes and colors,
  • window views and sizes...
ad infinitum, and your login and keychain passwords matching is just another instance in which Apple has chosen between options.

And a "bug" is a failure of ANY - not just default - Apple provided functionality, e.g. my alternative keychain password, to work as expected. Even had Apple eliminated the option from High Sierra, [presumably] my keychain would have been migrated as expected, and the first time I booted into it I'd have gotten a pop-up advising me that my keychain password was now the same as my login password because differing passwords were no longer supported...most certainly not an unexplained, empty keychain.

There is, very clearly, a bug in High Sierra that's causing Keychain Access to choke on differing passwords (and, as I reported in post #46760, Apple seems to be working on it).

Next, while your keychain/1Password solution suits your needs and perhaps those of many others, it doesn't suit mine...as my differing passwords solution does.

And finally, you're extrapolating your seamless upgrade to High Sierra to extend to all Mac users, and that, including password issues, is simply NOT the case.

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
...I put forward there’s some misconceptions being bantered about FTM that are mistakenly being accepted, by some, as accurate.

And I put forward that you need some empirical evidence - something along the lines of, say, my four clean installs of three different versions of High Sierra - to support your position.

Last edited by artie505; 12/12/17 01:58 AM. Reason: Knew it soon's I saw it!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire