Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Clearly, the problem is mine, e.g., I am unwilling to spend more than 5 minutes a week to maintain Cookie 5. I want it to work for me, not vice-versa. Of course, now that Apple has stifled cross-linking or such, that helps mitigate the problem. In short, I want it like SpamSieve, e.g., has some sort of Bayesian algorithm that “learns” my preferences.

I know that’s an unfair/unrealistic requirement, but the ravages of time & tide and poor health hath taken a toll…

No doubt my ego would be swaged, but that aside, and from a practical standpoint, I remain unsure how I would be better off or how I would measure success.

You're laboring under the misapprehension that Cookie is demanding of your time, but that's not the case at all.

Both ryck and I use it in the extreme, albeit in opposite directions, but all you've really got to do is select your "Favorite" websites and set its "Removal" parameters the first time you launch it (...your 5 minutes, but only once), and unless you want to select a new "Favorite", it runs on its own from there...no oversight required...no personal preferences for it to learn, as they've all been pre-set.

As for how you'd be better off, Cookie will clear tracking cookies at your chosen interval or event with no required action on your part, and thereby reduce (I won't say "eliminate".) data collection...data about YOU, that is.

And as for how you'd measure success, it's a lousy analogy, but think of Cookie in CO detector terms: you can't measure its success, you can only measure its failures (and, as I've said, I've never noticed any).

Aside: As a result of this discussion it occurred to me that it would be nice if new "Favorites" cold be selected via contextual menu, i.e. without dealing with Cookie's window, and although it turns out to be a big job because separate coding is required for each browser, Russell said he'll give it a shot in his next upgrade.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire