Thank you for your notes, Tacit. I do appreciate you replying to me at such length. However, no website file movements will be required.

Regarding my business email service provider, six days later, yes SIX DAYS later, with only fleetingly intermittent or zero service, they have finally posted a notice on their Support page. This is because I asked them three times why they had not bothered to keep their customers informed. It is as follows, and I would really like to hear FTM peoples' views on this:

Please bear in mind that we had to wait six days for proper information.

Hardware issues are affecting email access for some hosting customers.

Dear Silverserve hosting customers,

We are currently experiencing issues with one of our hosting servers, garm.silverserve.com. During the evening of Wednesday, 2009-09-30, one of the disk drives in the RAID storage array attached to this server failed. This type of failure is not unusual, and normally the array switches to a spare drive transparently and our engineers replace the failed unit without an outage. However, an unusual set of circumstances have caused the drive array to operate more slowly while it switches to using the replacement drive. This in turn has caused email retrieval to be slow for most POP customers on this server. Customers on other servers are not affected.

We assure you that no email has been lost, only delayed in its delivery to you.

We have temporarily limited the number of connections the server will accept until the drive array finishes rebuilding. This is expected to finish tonight, at which point normal service will resume.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience.