Originally Posted By: joemikeb
If you have 50 or so minutes to spare you might find this video presentation on HFS+ and APFS by OWC's engineering manager interesting. Among other things it covers your specific question and the differences in what happens between HFS+ and APFS.

I finally steeled myself and watched your linked video, and as was the case with most of my college lectures I've got somewhere between little and no idea of what I heard. It was, for the most part, just plain technical beyond my ability to comprehend, not to mention that it's having been directed at an audience with infinitely more technical knowledge than I've got resulted in much of even the comprehensible stuff having whizzed by before I could digest it.

In the end, though, while I've got great faith in your glowing reviews of APFS, I learned enough to induce me to follow Urquhart's lead and stick with HFS+, in my case until the extreme lack of documentation, at the very least, is resolved, or, alternatively, until I've got no other option.

Many thanks for the link; both what I learned and what I merely picked up on will be useful down the road.

Question: S.M.A.R.T. testing applies to SSDs as well as HDDs, but the Smart Alec software that was mentioned, right down to the images in its documentation, seem directed specifically at HDDs.

Is it as/at all pertinent to SSDs?

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/19/17 05:41 PM.