Unless you are doing some heavy duty graphics or other I/O intensive work you could probably save yourself a lot of money and greatly expand your selection by going with USB 3 instead. Thunderbolt is overkill for Time Machine use. For Time Machine use I would suggest a 2.5" 5400 rpm 2 or 3 TB bus powered USB 3. enclosure/drive. Lots of capacity, no power supply required, and easily fast enough for the purpose. Eliminating the Thunderbolt would reduce the cost of the enclosure enough to pay for the extra 1 or 2 TB of capacity.

As for specific recommendations I don't know about the in Canada part, but for many years I have had excellent success with Other World Computing They offer a wide range of drive/enclosures including Thunderbolt, bus powered 2.5" USB 3, and 3.5" USB 3 drives. My personal predilection is buying a suitable enclosure and putting the drive of my choice in it. I can often get a better deal with a better drive than buying the same enclosure with whatever drive the vendor got cheap.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein