Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: Ira L
Wouldn't a simple solution be not to play the National Anthem prior to every sporting event? The United States is the only country in the world (go ahead and refute this statement! smirk ) that plays its anthem prior to sporting events.

As my total knowledge of sports could probably fit into a gnat's cap, I can't comment with first-hand knowledge. However, I checked with my wife, who knows lots about sports (particularly if it involves Canadian teams) and was informed: "We play the national anthem prior to games and, if there's a team from another country, we play their anthem too."

Interestingly, the Canadian anthem at hockey games is an imposition of the American entity, the National Hockey League (NHL):
"The NHL requires arenas in both the U.S. and Canada to perform both the Canadian and American national anthems at games that involve teams from both countries, and it is usual for both American and Canadian anthems to be played at Major League Baseball games involving the Toronto Blue Jays, the only Canadian MLB team." (Wikipedia)

Are there any other Canadian-only sports at which the Canadian anthem is played? I'll go out on a limb and say "no". crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.