Originally Posted By: artie505
I'd think that Equifax's info would be on the mark, and they're not selling anything; their giving it away.

Unfortunately it is not unusual for the three credit agencies Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion to have different, even wildly different, credit ratings and information for the same individual. I have encountered that on more than one occasion. The last time I got a mortgage two of them gave me a very high credit rating but the third rated me an unacceptable risk "because of the unpaid $750,000 judgement against me in federal court". No such judgement against me existed, the judgement was against someone with the same name and living in the same county but with a different SSN and address who had multiple court judgements outstanding — all of which that bureau had attributed to me. It took several months to get the errors corrected. Had I not applied for the mortgage I might never have found out about the erroneous blot on my credit rating. A few years later my security clearance was lifted (for an hour or so) and I was briefly arrested and handcuffed (15 minutes or so) based on a similar credit bureau error where the actual person had the same name and worked for the same company but in another state. That took very little time to correct because of government intervention.

So IMO only checking one bureau is not enough, you have to watch all three. The difference in cost for checking one or all three bureaus runs around $60 per year.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein