Originally Posted By: kevs
What is file vault doing for you in a sentence or two? (as I know you went years without it). What is the main upside? Any annoying downsides?

For years I did not have a laptop and now I do. Even though I have not had a laptop before I know that for many reasons including the fact they go out into the world, laptops grow legs and walk off with someone else far more often than desktop computers. Filevault protects the information on my laptop should it "grow legs". The only annoyance is having to enter the password more often — but in High Sierra my Apple Watch will open the computer if the watch is connected to my iPhone and no password is needed except when booting up.

But I have the note app on the laptop, and if the laptop gets lost, icloud.com, it's right there. Just test, and it unlocked fin
e on icloud.com

What app on a Windows computer did you use to open the encrypted Note from iCloud?

I don't know why, but any minor thing and boom: Apple makes me change my password. (every year on average) I just add a new letter before the long pass each time- so I'm on c... password. Like you I'm forced to changed credit card numbers every year or two.

Maybe you aren't holding your mouth right laugh There have been times my password has not been recognized, but so far just waiting a few minutes or sometimes hours and it has started to work again. The result, I suspect, of a temporary glitch on Apple's password servers.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein