Originally Posted By: jaybass
The clock and everything else needs the admin name and password in S/L only. The model identifier is iMac9,1

No backup battery.
The clock set issue was reminiscent of a failed backup battery in earlier Macs, but as you say, your iMac does not have a backup battery and the issue only effects Snow Leopard. That, of course, could be the result of a damaged coreservices. tongue If you have another administrative account in Snow Leopard you might try logging into it and resetting the password for your regular account. (A good reason for having a "Test" account with administrative privileges.)

Originally Posted By: jaybass
I think all of this may have started when I ran permisssions in S/L and it said that the coreservices folder was damaged and could not be repaired and that is why I installed S/L over the existing HD thinking it would renew it. It didn't. Then I tried to copy the S/L backup to my HD using super duper but it would not allow it.
  1. A problem with clones is you can sometimes clone the problem and then you backup is no good. (Which is why I am so big on Time Machine)
  2. Are you certain that your Snow Leopard Backup is good? — Can you boot and run from it?
  3. When you tried to clone the Snow Leopard backup to your hard drive using Super Duper were you booted from the hard drive or the backup? You would have to be booted from a boot volume other than the one you are cloning to and that could be the bootable backup.
  4. You may have to erase the HD, or at least the Snow Leopard volume/partition if there is one, before cloning the backup to it.
In the past you have very saliently laid out your reasons for sticking with a seven year old version of OS X for your vintage or obsolete iMac9,1 (depending on which specific iMac9,1 you have — one is vintage and the other obsolete) and I am not arguing with that, but it may be time for you to move on to a newer Mac that runs a supported OS version.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein