Originally Posted By: sandbox
near death sparks a primal fear response of run, hide, escape, the person is not running to spiritualism, they are trying to avoid it, if their programming has taught them that a spiritual life is on the other side of death. It's been said, many want to go to heaven but nobody wants to die....i wonder why?
Most believers who want to meet their maker should not fear death, but embrace it, shouldn't they?

Ops, I'm thinking logically. wink

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Originally Posted By: sandbox
spirituality is learned through a nurturing process.

And sometimes, near-death experiences. wink

Not intended to make any one feel sorry for me, but a response from my own experience.

I have a terminal incurable disease, my mental and physical feeling of well being fluctuates madly and there are times when I would certainly be happy to die.

However, the inbuilt instinctive survival mode kicks in, the body's own will to survive seems to be stronger than my personal wish that I be allowed to die, (comfortably).

In my case it is a physical thing, nothing to do with faith or wishing to meet my maker. I guess that applies to others as well, the body itself says, run, hide, do what is needed to survive, and fact shuts down systems in order to let others carry on, I have had this explained to me medically and experienced it myself. Sometimes I am struggling so hard to breathe, I almost lose control of my bowels and bladder. Nothing to do with fear, just the body redirecting energies for survival.

I would say the ultimate wish to survive in most has little to do with faith, and a lot to do with the body fighting for life in its own, involuntary way.