Originally Posted By: dianne
Bensheim,

If you have not already done so, you can review additional product information at the manufacturer's site: Storage Depot.

The Storage Depot "Contact Us" option includes phone and fax numbers as well as an email address for technical support.

Thank you Dianne, this note is very helpful....

Quote:
If I am understanding correctly, you want a replacement optical drive which will do two things for a Macintosh running Mac OS 9:
   A. boot from an operating system installer when necessary.
   B. burn CDs.

That would be correct....

Quote:
Quote:
I have no intention of trying to boot from that drive as an experiment!!!
I have some sense of your hesitancy. Nevertheless, I am not sure why you have no intention of pushing the hardware to its limits to determine what your current situation is.

Because it's a busy working office, and that particular G4 is in use for 18 hours a day? Would you push it to its limits as an experiment, when only one part of it won't do only one function? shocked

Quote:
In addition, I am not sure what your options are for burning a CD in Mac OS 9 using another optical drive. As far as I know, PatchBurn and Toast are not options in Mac OS 9.

This is a terrific note! I am so grateful to you for thinking of this. You've just saved us over £60 on a piece of kit which wouldn't work anyway without some extra spend on software, which is now unavailable (I just checked the Toast-provider site).

The options which remain seem to be:

(1) Buy a CD burner which can be installed internally, then the Mac will use it's own software to burn. I'm reluctant to do this because as I've already said I'm no computer engineer, I just do whatever is necessary to keep the show on the road and learn as a I go along. Getting out screwdrivers and dismantling innards scares me, to be honest.

(2) Use a memory stick to transfer the PDFs to an iMac for burning.

As I said yesterday somewhere else here, if there is a way to get old Macs to communicate with new ones, I have not found it yet.

Note: I really do not expect everyone to remember everything I've posted, so to ward off further questions on my last paragraph, we have two G4s running OS9 and two iMacs running OSX. The G4s share files the two iMacs share files. G4 to iMac, no way other than memory stick.

Many thanks again for your help, it was invaluable.