MY PUBLIC BETA TESTING SCRIPT

When I installed the original OS X public Beta (OS X 0),
  • I become acutely sensitive to the smallest and most insignificant hesitation, blip, whatever afraid I am about to discover I have boxed myself into an untenable corner I cannot escape from — High Sierra is no exception!
  • To my relief that has not happened yet — that too includes High Sierra.
  • Inevitably my hyper sensitivity sends me scurrying to investigate fix minuscule issues I have been living with because I was too busy to dig out the solution before then — that too includes High Sierra.
  • Digging out solutions inevitably finds me taking a fearless inventory of apps and weeding out those I never use, can't remember what they do, developer has dropped out of sight, etc. — that too includes High Sierra.
  • Somewhere along the line I become aware of the tangled rats nest of wires on the back and under my computer desk and spend an afternoon reshuffling and re-organizing the wiring — that to includes High Sierra
  • I end up looking at my re-roganized computer desk, marvel at how smoothly the computer is running, wipe the sweat from my brow and congratulate myself on another successful beta installation (or is that dodging another self inflicted bullet in the foot) — that too is true of High Sierra
That does not mean everything is perfect or there is no more work to do. With High Sierra there are a few issues yet to be resolved before I am ready to call it complete.
  1. I have OWC's Thunderbay mini RAID array enclosure configured RAID 5 under SoftRAID 5.6. The enclosure was working perfectly under Sierra but under HIgh Sierra but if the enclosure is attached and powered up about the time the drivers load the system kernel panics — reliably every time. SoftRAID Tech Support is on the problem. The same thing happened with the early Sierra betas.
  2. Time Machine and APFS (encrypted) formatted drives don't play nice with one another. Apple has been notified and I am confident they will solve this — eventually.
  3. CCC will clone the boot drive but the clone is not bootable and I don't know about recovering from a CCC clone.
That leaves me with no workable Time Machine media until Apple fixes Time Machine which does not give me any warm fuzzy feelings crazy My consolation is all of my critical data is mirrored on iCloud.

😟🤞🍹

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein