I didn't take in my old MBP b/c it's no longer covered by AppleCare. Maybe they would have thrown that in for me but I never thought of that. I assumed they would charge me.

As far as what I want to do with the external on my old MBP, you probably forgot our conversation about it though you do seem to have a good memory for past posts. smile. I'll bring it all up again when the time comes b/c I don't want to make a mistake and end up with only one computer again.

By unlucky OS installation, do you mean things can go wrong with a download and need to be redone?

I doubt that the refurbishing job, itself, was at the root of your problems; I'll opt for an unlucky macOS installation.

macOS 10.12.5 was released on May 15th; I guess it wasn't pre-installed on your new MBP because of timing.

I thought you'd take your old MBP to the Apple Store and have them reinstall Mavericks for you; didn't it go bad in the process of doing just that in the first place?

I'm not exactly sure what you're proposing to do with your old MBP and external, but when you're up to speed with your new MBP we can deal with them.

Under any circumstances, though, there shouldn't be any need for you to buy a new external drive; your 1 TB should more than suffice. [/quote]

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8