Originally Posted By: jchuzi
All senses (and there are many more than five) work this way. The big point is that the nerve impulses from those receptors are IDENTICAL in nature. It is the part of the brain that receives the impulse that interprets it. If you could switch the nerves from the ear to the optical part of the brain, you would "see" sound.

In conclusion, our senses give us the illusion that we can know our surroundings. This is only an illusion.

I'm confident that you like the sound of your violin, most of the time that is. smirk I wonder if you realize that your explanation allows for the possibility, perhaps even the inevitability, that the favorite piece you like to play on it sounds to others like anything from a punk band to a Caterpillar planer in full swing, and that its appearance resembles a blue whale as much as a hapless army vehicle launched by an IED? And then I'm not even talking about its smells. shocked

Against the background of this potential confusion it's good to hear your reassurance that all creation is an illusion... cool

alternaut moderator