Originally Posted By: plantsower
OK, I did what you said. Same result. Globe shows up, there is a drop down box asking me to pick my network but there is no network to pick, it's just 3 dots. After some researching, when the apple guy called me back, and said it meant I could not get connected to the internet for some reason.

...moving my computer...would have meant going into the room where the modem and router are located....

Quoting joemike, ":light bulb:"

This probably should have been obvious all along, but your "3 dots" slapped me across the face with a dead flounder, and I wonder if your inability to connect to the internet for recovery has been because your MBPs have been out of range of your router? (My AirPort menu bar drop-down doesn't always show the same list of networks that my /Apps/System Prefs > Network > Network Name drop-down shows, and that makes me wonder about the robustness of the utility that's accessed during recovery. More: Thinking about it, I remember having been surprised by how few network options I was offered when I booted into recovery recently, and my MBP is less than three feet from my AirPort Express Base Station.)

Dead easy experiment: Move your MBP as close to your router as you can conveniently get it, try the command-option-R boot again, and see if you maybe get lucky.

Originally Posted By: plantsower
They had me erase my whole HD so, nothing much left. I wonder why they didn't say to try Disk Utility or PRAM. I don't think that would have worked but maybe. I never think to do PRAM myself.

Our local Radio Shack bit the dust.

It doesn't sound like you spoke to the brightest star at AppleCare. I don't know why he didn't have you simply reinstall Sierra over your original installation rather than erase your SSD.

The entire Radio Shack chain closed its doors a few years back; I got to my local store's going out sale after the shelves had been picked pretty much bare, but I still did a little bit of OK. smile

Last edited by artie505; 07/02/17 08:36 AM. Reason: More & Cleanup

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire