OK, I did what you said. Same result. Globe shows up, there is a drop down box asking me to pick my network but there is no network to pick, it's just 3 dots. After some researching, when the apple guy called me back, and said it meant I could not get connected to the internet for some reason. This happened before with my old MBP a few weeks back and I learned on the forum to connect it to Ethernet and then I could do recovery. It worked. I think Apple Tech needs to know this is a possibility before they blithely ask people to erase their HD.

They had me erase my whole HD so, nothing much left. I wonder why they didn't say to try Disk Utility or PRAM. I don't think that would have worked but maybe. I never think to do PRAM myself.

As far as moving my computer rather than getting a long ethernet cable goes, I was thinking I could connect my computers via Ethernet on my old MBP and some other cable to connect them together and then get my new MBP hooked to the Ethernet that way. That would have meant going into the room where the modem and router are located and there's not much room in there. My idea was to hook up from the ethernet cable there and then go into my office with both computers. Remember, my new MBP has no ethernet port.

So, now I feel my only option is to get an Ethernet adapter and go from there. It should take a few days at least because our local stores don't have any and I would have to drive a half an hour to get to a Walmart. Our local Radio Shack bit the dust. If I didn't have a backup, I would make the drive.

I'd be interested to know if you tried to use their retailer locater if anything showed up from the apple site. If it does, please send me the link to that page.

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: plantsower
The guy...mentioned things like resetting PRAM, turning off wi-fi and then back on, and resetting power. None of this is going to help if I can't connect to the internet and also my OS is gone.

I'm not sure exactly what you erased, i.e. whether you've still got a recovery partition, so try this:

First, reset your modem/router...probably by leaving it unplugged for...ahhh...give it 15 minutes. (I know it didn't work for you the last time you tried, but it has worked for me.)

Next, do a command-option-R boot, and hold the keys until the animated globe appears on the screen.

If the globe appears, give it time to do its thing...dunno how long that may be; have a cup of coffee.

If the globe fails to appear or appears but doesn't connect to the internet, proceed to...

Originally Posted By: plantsower
So, tomorrow I am going to see if I can find an ethernet adapter or just a very long ethernet cable in town. If not, I will get one off Amazon and wait for it. If that doesn't do the trick, I will have to make an appt. at a "genius" bar.

I looked for locations near me from the Apple website and not one city I put in showed up, even the cities with genius bars that I already know about!!

You have the same OS version I have. You have annoyances but not mail ones like I have??

You can't just move your MBP instead of buying a new cable?

That's strange about Apple Stores you know are there not being there.

I've got Mail annoyances, but nothing like either you or V1 has described...nothing that's inspired me to do anything more than wait for Apple to get their act straight. tongue

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8