I have been formatting every drive in sight as APFS (Encrypted) doing HFS+ vs APFS performance testing and trying out different apps. So far the results are:
  1. the same rotating rust drive averaged 18% faster reads and 14% faster writes when formatted APFS (encrypted) than when it was formatted HFS+ (Un-encrypted). The full Quickbench report can be seen here. Interestingly Quickbench identified APFS as "WIndows Sharing (SMB/CIFS)
  2. Carbon Copy Cloner had no difficulty cloning a data drive from HFS+ to APFS (Encrypted) or from APFS (encrypted) to APFS (encrypted) NOTE: that was a data drive and not a boot drive.
  3. When cloning a bootable APFS volume to an APFS (Encrypted) volume CCC warns the target volume will not be bootable. tongue
CONCLUSION: APFS may be optimized for SSDs, but it is also offers superior performance on rotating rust. I am having a hard time trying to find something not to like about APFS.

INTERESTING GLITCH I attempted to print a page from Apple Help by clicking on the share icon and selecting print. The image appeared correct in the print dialog window but when it printed either to the printer or to a PDF it comes out as what can best be described as garbled Japanese and/or Chinese characters. (My second High Sierra Feedback report 🤓)

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/01/17 12:29 AM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein