Originally Posted By: plantsower
Right. I read about and mentioned the SIP method to change dock icons. I may do it someday. I know I have to turn it back on when I'm done.

What am I dragging into the dock, the changed icons?

Also, I'm not sure what all that code is you put in this post.

Yeah it's not really a "method" (like you have a choice) so much as it's the only way. I suppose you might be able to boot off something else or target mode it and modify it from some other booted OS though.

I'm not turning SIP back on. Pisses me off every time I try to do something and can't even do it logged in as root. That's what root is FOR, when you need to bypass the security in the system to get something done. And they've crippled it. This is by far not the first time, root has gotten gradually more difficult to use and less effective when you do over the years. You can login as root. Not just in terminal, I mean like in Finder. I had all my service drives at work doing that because it saved a lot of headaches with the tools I ran. Then tools started breaking when logged in as root. (DiskWarrior most notably) And stuff in the os started breaking. Print dialog, save as pdf. Just stopped being there. The option just was GONE. Tried to report it to Apple and they replied basically saying "you're not supposed to login as root so we're not fixing it". Thanks for telling me how I'm not supposed to use my computer! (sorry, *I* will be the one to decide that!)

anyway sorry a bit of a rant there.

Yes you change the icon on the application itself, then drag it into the dock. If it's already in the dock, you can remove and re-add it, but you might just be able to get it to update by cmd-clicking on it in the dock, I've seen this work before.

You can ignore the code, that was just my trying to do stuff and being told "uh uh uh! You can't do that!" with a nice cute wag of the finger. Making me want to wag a finger too. Tired of my computer telling me how I am and how I'm not allowed to use it. I'm used to being able to casually brush aside those pesky limitations, but they're getting more and more difficult to sidestep as time goes on. I see us headed for "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department