I followed your instructions as far as putting trash into the dropdown box and then tested it by sending emails to all my accounts and then deleting them. Nothing went into trash. I also don't have anything that says "deleted files" in the drop down box. I think I am really going to have to call AppleCare as it would be a lot easier if I had someone go into my computer and see what I'm talking about. Thanks for your help. Your instructions a very clear but it's I'm just not seeing the same thing.

You don't have Teamviewer or some other way of seeing what I am talking about, do you? Otherwise, AppleCare can get into my computer with me and see what I am talking about.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: Plantsower
As far as following your instructions to move deleted messages to the trash, I don't have that option under mail behaviors. Next to the Trash Mailbox there, there is a dropdown box that says Trash. Under that it says "erase deleted messages:" Then there is another drop down box offering me a choice of erasing deleted messages after one day, one week or one month. But they are already gone so I never had to delete. I'll just live with it.

Assuming you are using Mail 10.3 (3273) that ships with Sierra (MacOS 10.12.5) — when you go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox behaviors the window would look something like this. If you click on the Trash drop down you should get a list of all the mailboxes available to that account. That includes mailboxes on the IMAP server as well as mailboxes On My Mac. (Okay so I overdo it on mailboxes but it helps keep me organized and that is no small task so no snide comments please.) You can then set the automatic deletion/erase here.

NOTES:
  1. Since you have multiple accounts, you will have to do this for each account individually.
  2. If you want an option other than Trash, then go to the account and create additional mailboxes and name them what you will.
  3. If you do not want the trash stored on the IMAP server, you can create a Trash folder On My Mac and point the accounts there.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8