Originally Posted By: courtcook
At any rate, I've tried just about everything that I can think of, and everything Apple support can think of, with no success (including a full restore to new). Apple is now suggesting that it's a hardware problem (which seems rather coincidental to me... I had a phone that worked just fine before the update).

Thoughts:
  1. Welcome to FineTunedMac — I just wish I could offer better news crazy
  2. All the indications point to a hardware issue. frown (Spend any time on FineTunedMac, the Apple Discussions, or any other user support forum and you will discover it is not unusual for a user to notice a hardware failure in proximity to an update or upgrade. Put it down to Murphy's Law, bad karma, or whatever, the odds overwhelmingly favor shear conincidence, not cause and effect.
  3. Depending on when you bought your iPhone 5S, if you bought AppleCare with it you may still be covered so If your problem is hardware, repairs or replacement would be free! cool (Even if you are a few months beyond warranty expiration I would take it to the nearest Apple Store Genius Desk and talk real nice the the "Genius".)
  4. As to a backup
    1. Without a backup there is little or no hope of recovering your data if you have had a hardware failure
    2. On the chance you might still be able to backup your data
      1. iTunes for Windows is available at no cost so even if your new computer is a Windows box tongue you can still backup your iPhone to iTunes
      2. An Apple account including an email address, and storage space on iCloud is free and your iPhone can be set to back up to iCloud autmatically and you can restore from there as well as from an iTunes backup — it just isn't as fast.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein