Yes, I am already convinced that refurbished is the way to go. I know you meant iMac all the way through but you started out talking about an iPad (lemon) so I was a little confused for a second there. smile

I always get the warranty. The cheapest I could find was at LA Computer for either $185 or $189, can't remember. If you know of a cheaper one for a Macbook Pro I am listening.

I've heard great replacement stories and I've also heard (read) horror stories where they got no satisfaction at all with an obvious lemon. Maybe it just matters which store you go to or which rep you talk to on the phone. I have learned that when I don't get what I want from a company to just call back until I can find someone who will cooperate and be more helpful.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
By the way, I'm not sure what you're thinking at this point, but I continue to strongly advise that you not buy from LA; the extra $70 is no big deal, because the guy's been helpful, but foregoing 5 months or so of AppleCare without its being a necessity is, in my opinion, not a particularly wise thing to do.

I would never advise anyone NOT to buy from LA because I prefer to put a positive spin on things. If you are going to buy a refurbished/used MacBook I would strongly urge you to buy from Small Dog Electronics, Apple, or any vendor that sells factory rebuilt units that come with the same warranty as a new MacBook Pro.

Artie and I have been known to have different opinions but on this we are of like mind. I once had an iPad that could only be called a lemon and after three complete failures requiring parts replacement to fix Apple not only replaced the iMac entirely, they replaced it with a newer model and because mine had been top of the line when I bought it, they replaced it not with a comparable iMac but with the top of the newer model line that was significantly more powerful. IMHO the extra warranty coverage is well worth a lot more than $70. By-the-way I would buy AppleCare as well.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8