I wonder why Joemike deleted it, then. It was a great suggestion.

My Ex. Drive is plugged into my USB 3.0 port. I don't think it works with FireWire. Different end, right? I wasn't planning on migrating my info to my new Mac. My old MBP is slow, lots of spinning beach balls..... I don't want to forward any of that to my new computer if that is possible. I may have things conflicting or whatever causing all this. I want to start clean. If I want any of my old stuff I'll just use my external drive until I get what I want on my computer by downloading it directly from the Web again.

I don't remember your suggestion about foregoing Mavericks, etc. I've made the mistake of reading the FTM emails only sometimes and then found out they don't always contained the whole post, so I stopped doing that.

At the risk of sounding sexist, your ignoring my posts because it's too early to deal with it is such a guy thing!! But thanks for explaining silence on some issues. I AM agonizing and wish I knew so much more and didn't have to ask all the time, even after doing my research first. And when explanations don't make sense to me I feel like a dunce.

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: plantsower
Thanks, Artie. I know you tried to walk me through but I still had questions. Nothing is very straightforward to me.

Joemike suggested cloning Mavericks over to my empty miscellaneous partition and use that. That sounds like a plan. Also, cloning Sierra when I get my new computer and using that in my backup computer. I couldn't get back to him because this kept coming up: There was a problem looking up this post in our database. I reported it but it's still happening. For some reason I couldn't find his post directly by using search.

Anyway, I can always try that. When I do it, I will ask for help.

Thanks, as always.

Rita

Any time I"ve seen that "There was a problem...." message it has meant that the post in question was deleted.

Stop agonizing; when the time comes, we'll figure it all out.

What connections has your external drive got...FireWire, USB, both? I ask because you need to think about how you're going to do your migration, and then, after you've migrated you info to your new MBP you can give some thought to which OSs you want to keep, and where.

And as for joemike's "cloning Sierra when I get my new computer and using that in my backup computer", a few posts back I suggested "And then again, you can forego the Mavericks restoration and restore or clone Sierra to your old MBP after you've got your new one up, migrated, and running."

By the way, I've been ignoring your post a while back in which you asked a bunch of questions because it seemed pointless to answer before you're ready to proceed...too far before the fact.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8