I have a Brother HL-2230 B&W laser printer. It's been great. I have had a couple of jams but was easily fixed. What I want to pass on if you haven't already purchased a printer is that when it says you are low on toner, other than shaking the toner cartridge back and forth to even it out, there is a little formula that keeps it printing for hundreds of extra pages. Here goes:

Resetting Brother Toner Cartridge
1. Turn off printer
2. Open front cover
3. Hold “go” button and turn printer on
4. Let go of “go” button then press twice
5. Pause and then press 5 x for standard toner and 6 times for high yield toner
6. Close front of printer
7. If it says “printer is not connected”, turn printer off then on again.

I've had to do it a couple of times but it always works for tons more copies until, of course, it is empty. That hasn't happened yet. I bought it in Sept. 2014 and I am only on my second cartridge. I didn't know that trick with the first cartridge. I don't use it a lot like in an office but average more than one copy a day.

Originally Posted By: deniro
I finally have to admit to myself that my HP 812 deskjet has died. One of the OS X updates killed the drivers along time ago (a long...time ago) and it's never been the same since.

So I'm looking for some printer recommendations. I am considering a B&W laser, though I only print not even a page/day. Price range under $300. Color not needed. Just something reliable. I need drivers that support OS 10.4.11

Has Brother been more reliable than HP on the Mac in recent years ?

Last edited by plantsower; 06/05/17 03:31 PM.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8