OK. Thanks for doing the d/l, etc. I have Mavericks and Mt. Lion on my external drive. I have Mavericks on my internal drive. I can't remember if I partitioned my internal HD to include Mt. Lion but I think so, I just never use it. The miscellaneous partition is empty. I probably just named it that until I put something in it. It's been awhile.
I'm going to d/l SuperDuper! so I can see precisely how it works and number the steps, but in the meantime, I'm still not certain about your three volumes: which ones are on your internal, and which ones are on your external? (My guess is that Mt. Lion is on your external and Mavericks is on your internal, but where is Misc, which I assume is not bootable, i.e. doesn't have OS X on it...merely data?)

More: There's absolutely no reason why you should need to boot what appears to be a perfectly good machine from an external drive, and I'll be damned if I can't get you to that point!

I don't remember if the "Force Click..." box was checked or unchecked by default, so I'm not sure what "normal" is, but I tried working with it checked soon after I got my MBP, and I didn't like it at all, so I"ve been working with it unchecked for the past year, and I'm still not comfortable with my Force Touch trackpad. [/quote]

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8