Reformatting your posts is insanely difficult, so I'll respond thusly this time...

1. artie: Had the original purchaser bought the 2016 model I could see the mind change and upgrade, but since se went for the $200 cheaper 2015 model in the first place, I'll scratch my head.

Rita: Is that because the Touch Bar wasn't available back then anyway?

Yep! The Touch Bar was first introduced in October 2016, so an upgrade from the 2016 non-TB to the TB would make some sense, while an upgrade from the 2015 non-TB to the 2016 TB doesn't...in my eyes anyhow.

2. artie: At any rate, the same MBP is available from the Apple Refurbished Store for $1,099 as I type.

Rita: Yeah, but the refurbished one is not eligible for AppleCare which I like.

That's incorrect! All Apple refurbs come with their standard one year warrantee and are eligible for AppleCare...same as their new machines.

3. Rita: I've got SuperDuper if that's what you mean but I don't know how to get it back onto my MBP just back onto the external drive. I'm willing to try since I can't get to my internal drive anyway.

I've never seen the SuperDuper! GUI, but I imagine it's similar to that of Carbon Copy Cloner, which I'm running.

Presumably, you created a SD! task that clones from your internal HDD to your external, so look at what you did, and create a new, reversed task, i.e. treat your external as your source and your internal as your destination.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire