Originally Posted By: artie505
Some perspective on those bad reviews: V1 once posted that DW was about to erase the HDD he was working on when he noticed it in the old/new comparison.

Never skip the step!

But to give you some perspective on whether or not to spend $120 on DW I'll ask if anybody has actually NEEDED it recently, or is everybody just stuck in the periodic maintenance routine and using it solely for that purpose? I don't recall a single problem that's required DW's intervention having been posted in a looong time.

Back in the days when OS X was far less stable than it is today, when I didn't have an external bootable volume, and when DW could be acquired only by snail mail, I considered it to be an extremely worthwhile investment.

Today, those factors have been all but completely resolved, and DW can be acquired immediately upon need and is, therefore, unnecessary up-front insurance. (Just my take on it; I've never upgraded from v 4.)

Darn it, Artie. Now I have to rethink stuff b/c of you and JoeMike! Also, I found out that the reason the Macbook Pro I am looking at is an open box and returned so soon is b/c the person who bought it wanted a touch bar instead so returned it to the shop for a different model.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8