Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: plantsower
If you're in New York City you're up way past your bedtime go to bed. Zzzzz

I live backwards, Rita; unless it's a beach day, I sleep 'til 5 PM and stay up all night...been like that for 60 years since all the way back in high school when I realized that the world didn't end when my parents went to sleep. [/color] Well, you live in the city that never sleeps so that can happen. I live where the crickets and frogs start in around bedtime and all the stores and most of the restaurants are closed by 10 p.m. Good thing I'm not a night owl!! [color:#FF0000]

WHY IS MY COLOR CODING SHOWING UP? WHAT DID I DO WRONG?

I'm going to recommend that you stick with your Mid 2012 MBP.

This screenshot is a side-by side of Mactracker's enumeration of the specs of your current MBP and the October 2016 model you're considering. (You can double-check that I've got your Mac right by navigating to /Applications/Utilities/System Information > Hardware Overview and verifying that its Model Identifier is MacBookPro9,2.)

The critical piece of info is the October 2016 "Discontinued" date for your MBP, which, translated into simple english, means that you've essentially got a new machine. (The Apple Refurbished Store is currently selling YOUR EXACT MBP [one of which I recently advised my daughter to buy, by the way]. $829 = VERY cool .)

[/color] I get what you're saying and I still want to keep my MBP but since my iBook bit the dust (I mean really bit the dust more than my MBP) I need a backup so my old MPB will be just that. I really dislike using my iPhone for surfing. It's just so limited compared to using the computer, at least in my view. I'm no teenager.[color:#FF0000]

Macs go "Vintage" five years after they're discontinued, at which point Apple will no longer service or supply parts for them, but since your MBP was first discontinued in October 2016 (By comparison, its 15" brother was discontinued in October 2013.), it will be "Supported" until October 2021 and be able to benefit from at least several future macOS upGRADES.

I don't think the newer machine offers any necessary for you performance upgrades, and even though it's significantly lighter than your current one (which I don't think is important to you), it's at the cost of a disc drive, a number of useful ports, and assorted other features. (Found it!)

[/color] I've looked at the specs and did some comparing and I still want a MBP. I'm not so happy about losing a HD to a 125 gig SSD but they have more RAM than I am used to and after having my MBP for over 5 years I am yet to use over 50 gigs of HD. I think I said somewhere else that I used only 400+. That was an error. I have over 400+ Gigs free'd up. I found out I can live without a superdrive as I rarely used it. I think the new MBP (see link below) still has a headset input and 3.0 USB ports along with the Thunderbolts and HDMI port. MBP[color:#FF0000]

I'll stick with my suggestion that you get your MBP to a Genius Bar and have it diagnosed...before you buy a new Mac or even spend $100 on DiskWarrior.

I don't see anything in any of your posts that convinces me that you actually NEED a new Mac, and unless you're hot to spend money, I say stick with what you've got. [/color] The only reason I feel I need a new computer is that now I won't have a backup and that's important to me.[color:#FF0000]

You've lucked into the Mac that's been blessed with perhaps the longest life Apple has ever bestowed on a machine. Why waste it?

(If you'r really desperate to spend a few bucks, I think you ought to upgrade your RAM as suggested by tacit in another thread and upgrade your HDD to an SSD [assuming that the Genius resurrects you MBP]; I'll bet that you'll be immensely pleased with the outcome.)
[/color] I'm still not sure what I am going to do but your input is always welcome and helpful. It's also important to me that if I am going to buy another MBP I want to be able to have the extended warranty with Applecare. Any MBP that has run out of it's original warranty is no longer eligible for AppleCare. I know there are other kinds of warranties but that is the easiest one for me to use. I made sure to look up all your links. (Adaptors make the MBP look like it has hemorrhoids?) LOLOLOL![color:#FF0000]

Last edited by plantsower; 05/31/17 04:41 PM.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8