Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Do you have a heavy-duty utility like Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro, or Drive Genius? They are more powerful than Disk Utility.

Originally Posted By: plantsower
No. Do you think that would make a difference at this point? That sounded facetious, but I didn't mean it that way.

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I can't give a definitive answer, but if the problem can be fixed, one of those utilities is more likely to fix it than Disk Utility. In particular, I'm a fan of Disk Warrior.

Speaking from personal experience, a few years ago my daughter did something really bad to her MacBook. I have no idea what she did but it ended up with her machine grinding away for at least 24 hours and no apparent advance.

Although it sounded to me like there was no hope, I asked her to shut the machine off until I could come over with Disk Warrior. It took Disk Warrior about two hours but, in the end, her machine was back to working as normal.

Whether you were to go for Tech Tool Pro or Disk Warrior, it seems to me you're going to have to decide if you want to gamble 100 bucks that might keep you from spending a couple of grand.

Thank you. I actually did run it a few times but then got the scary message to back up everything because the disk couldn't be repaired. But guess what??? While I was in Disk Utility the last time I noticed that I could choose my start up disk. I know I know, slow to notice stuff. But I am back on my MacBook Pro for now. I still plan to get a new one and use this as a backup and I will have to quit being cheap and get the Disk Warrior. I don't know why the external drive wouldn't start up the usually way but once in Disk Utility, it did.

I shut my computer down every night. Should I keep it on to prevent having to go to Disk Utility again? Or if I shut it down without ejecting the external drive, will be up and running tomorrow?

Thanks for helping.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8