Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Try Disk Utility first. If that doesn't solve things, you can reinstall the OS. The software is downloaded from Apple and installed automatically; no disks were provided nor needed for Mountain Lion.

OK, this is what I've tried not necessarily in this order:

1. Reinstalled Mavericks OS X via Recovery - Took many hours and didn't make a difference.

2. Reset PRAM - nothing

3. Reset SMC - nothing

4. Did hardware test - Passed with flying colors

5. Ran Disk Utility - Got this message, "Disk Utility stopped repairing Mac HD. Disk utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed up files." Can't exactly do that since the computer won't boot up on it's own or with my external drive.

6. Used Safe Mode start up. It loaded up (watching the loading bar) about half way and then went back to Apple logo screen and no activity.

7. Tried going online within recovery mode. It went to Apple.com and then got the spinning beach ball.

8. Used Single User Mode: Went through the commands I learned about online and from The Missing Manual book. It ended up saying the "system was OK."

I don't know that anyone at the Genius Bar would/could try anything else. I might as well get a new Macbook Pro which is what I am leaning towards.

Boo-Hoo!! Five years isn't a lot of time to have a new Apple and then have it end like this. If you can think of something I haven't actually tried, please let me know.

Rita

Last edited by plantsower; 05/30/17 05:10 PM.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8