If you are considering a new laptop I would wait until after the WWDC next week and see what announcements are made there. As to a rough comparison of Apple's laptop models…

The MacBook Air is the lowest price and you get a lot of performance for the money. However it is rumored it may be dropped from production. Look for more news on that at WWDC. The MacBook is actually smaller and lighter than MacBook Air but only has one USB C port which is arguably both a benefit and a deficit depending on your viewpoint. Either should meet your described usage pattern quite well.

Based on your usage there is a third viable option that IMHO is worth your consideration, the 12.9" iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard, and if you are into graphics the Apple Pencil. Same screen size, iOS instead of MacOS for easier use, as fast or faster speed, roughly the same size screen, great battery life, and optionally will work using cellular data as well as WiFi. I have encouraged a couple of friends with similar use patterns to you to get iPad Pros. They have been very pleased and neither has contacted me even once for technical help.

When you are looking don't forget Apple Factory Refurbished Equipment can save you a few bucks and come with factory new warranty.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein