Once again, it may be premature so I'm hesitant to comment on it but ...

The (white to white/blue) haziness and lack of reasonable distance focus — especially because these come and go, sometimes even over the course of 10-15 minutes — seemed to indicate that the problem is not inflammation or inflammatory corneal infiltrates, since that is not typical behavior for inflammation (which should get better or worse, not fluctuate). Add to that intermittent bulbar and retrobulbar pain. So I had to think that maybe the various meds, from steroids to NSAID, were more the culprit than the cure.
So I decided to quit all of the meds to see what happens. My last pred dose was over 24 hours ago. Since mid-morning I noticed in the bright sunlight that not only was my left eye no longer hazy but also had better visual acuity and less haziness than my right eye — which heretofore had never been the case — and so it remains as of this writing.
The proof of the pudding will be that the situation remains stable. If so, then my supposition will be accurate and when I see my surgeon in a couple days, I will point at him and say, "J'accuse!" tongue I will also set up the appointment for the surgery on my right eye (before the end of June), with the option to abort if things go south in the interim.