Originally Posted By: grelber
Originally Posted By: artie505
Software Update prefs are found under System Prefs > App Store in Sierra, but I think they're still the same as in earlier OS versions.

Nope. In Lion it's as I stated. And the last Apple security update I received (after I initiated it) was in 2014.
I've never dealt with the App Store and don't even know how to get there (if I wanted to, which I don't).

I think you're relying too much on your pref.

The security update to which I'm referring was, just as Ira suggested, pushed through silently, update prefs notwithstanding; it did not come through the normal update channels, although it may have left a record of its installation behind. (As I recall, it dealt with a specific piece of malware.)

Ira? Anybody?

And, of course, there's the very real possibility that the update wasn't implemented all the way back to Lion, which, also of course, doesn't negate the possibility that a future situation might cause Apple to patch long since unsupported OS versions in a similar manner.

OK...found it: Apple pushes its first ever silent, automatic security update to Mac OS X...

and more recently: Apple pushes silent security update

Last edited by artie505; 05/16/17 10:52 AM. Reason: Add link

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire