Originally Posted By: artie505
Even knowing that the list is in strict alpha order (except for l.c. being at its bottom), I scrolled down it an embarrassing number of times in the vain hope that those networks really were somewhere on it. crazy

Sometimes Airport Utility and setting up Airport Express appears a bit flakey. I know that when you reset an Airport device and then set it up from scratch (recommended) the Airport device temporarily creates its own network and the device you are running Airport Utility on has to join that network to complete the setup. This leads me to two questions
  1. Are you resetting the Airport Express to start with (paperclip in the reset hole until the light begins to flash green)
  2. this is off the wall, but when you start the setup process is the device running Airport Express logged onto a 5GHz network? (Admittedly I am grasping at straws here, but…)
Originally Posted By: artie505
I think the correct wording
  • as respects a situation in which an AE has created its own network is "To run AirPlay, your stereo must be plugged into your AE and you must be connected to it(s network)."
  • and as respects a situation in which an AE has joined another network is "To run AirPlay, your stereo must be plugged into your AE and you must be connected through it to the network it has joined."
Closer?

To me that sounds pretty close, but if we were in a design meeting working on the documentation, I would probably argue your first scenario is superfluous. That is the kind of description that a team of four or five software engineers and tech writers could easily spend an entire day getting to everyone's satisfaction and would still be incomprehensible to anyone who had not been in on the discussion/argument/dustup that wrote it. Of course after all that work the editor, who may or may not fully understand the situation, would step in and rewrite it to the satisfaction of no one on the design team. I have been there and done that more than once. 😲

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein