Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
Maybe it's because my printer is looow end, but It's never been networkable.

The Canon Pixma IP4500 is not supposed to be networkable and neither is a Dymo Labelwriter 450 Turbo, but I have both running on my network using Airport Express units as wireless print servers.

The way I set them up is...
  1. configure an Airport Express 802.11n (1st Generation) or later to Join a wireless network (not create or extend)
  2. connect the non-networkable printer to the Airport Express via USB
  3. In System Preferences ➢ Printers & Scanners on the Mac, click on the plus (+) sign at the bottom of the list of printers.
  4. The Airport Express connected non-networkable printer shows up in the list of available printers as "Canon IP 4500" of the type "Bonjour".
  5. Select it and click Add
  6. The printer mounts just like any networked or locally attached device.
Artie, I think your Canon should work. I hope there is a clue in here that will help you get it up and running. Neither my Canon or Dymo printers are networkable but both work perfectly using an Airport Express as a wireless print server. Better in fact than either did when shared from another Mac.

Thanks for the instructions and encouragement. smile

I was getting absolutely nowhere with the instructions, though, and was just about to throw in the towel when I realized that, as I invariably do, I had forgotten to turn my printer on.

The going was smoother after that, except in step 1, AirPort Utility asked me to choose a network (to join) from its drop-down, and the printer wasn't on the list, nor was I able to find a way to get it there.

The newly added printer shows up as an option in a "Print" pane, but I've got no idea how to get macOS to connect to it.

Have you got any idea what, if anything, I've missed, or, as the case may be, failed to comprehend?

I also went through my Canon's documentation, and I found instructions for setting up networking via Terminal. Unfortunately, though, the instructions are generic, and, as per tech support, my printer isn't one of the supported ones.

So, unless you can get me past step 1, I'm stuck with a cable.

(It's not critical now that I've got a router with two built-in wireless networks, but going your route will turn my Base Station into a dedicated print server, leaving me unable to use it for Internet, and I was hoping for full AirPort Express functionality, i.e. Internet, printing, and AirPlay.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire