Originally Posted By: artie505
Maybe it's because my printer is looow end, but It's never been networkable.

The Canon Pixma IP4500 is not supposed to be networkable and neither is a Dymo Labelwriter 450 Turbo, but I have both running on my network using Airport Express units as wireless print servers.

The way I set them up is...
  1. configure an Airport Express 802.11n (1st Generation) or later to Join a wireless network (not create or extend)
  2. connect the non-networkable printer to the Airport Express via USB
  3. In System Preferences ➢ Printers & Scanners on the Mac, click on the plus (+) sign at the bottom of the list of printers.
  4. The Airport Express connected non-networkable printer shows up in the list of available printers as "Canon IP 4500" of the type "Bonjour".
  5. Select it and click Add
  6. The printer mounts just like any networked or locally attached device.

NOTES:
  • The driver for the printer must be installed locally
  • Once a printer is mounted MacOS sees all printers the same regardless of how it is attached (USB or WiFi)
  • The printer driver is independent of the connection
  • An Airport Express can join virtually any WiFi network but it can only extend a network created by another Airport base station
Artie, I think your Canon should work. I hope there is a clue in here that will help you get it up and running. Neither my Canon or Dymo printers are networkable but both work perfectly using an Airport Express as a wireless print server. Better in fact than either did when shared from another Mac.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein