Time really moves fast. I used that HP until I was sure it was dead. I certainly got my money's worth.

I replaced it years ago with an Epson Workforce All in One color ink jet, which turned to be handier than I thought and it doesn't take up much space. Surprisingly, the wireless connected fine. The driver works fine. I've never had to update the driver from the one that came with printer's CD.

On the negative side, I don't print that much, but the printer really devours ink and it lacks a duplex function. I hate wasting paper. On my old HP, I was able to print on one side, then put the paper back into the machine and print on the other side. Interesting that this doesn't work on the newer Epson. Newer isn't always better. Draft quality is quite a bit worse than draft quality on my old, old HP ink jet. Today I always have to print in normal mode. There are some other quirks which I don't recall at the moment. I've had it, I guess, at least three years, so maybe I should expect to collapse soon.

By the way, the Print Edit add-on in Firefox is quite handy. It can save you a lot of paper and ink, and newer versions have been better rather than worse, is often the case.

I've considered getting a monochrome laser because it looks like it would be cheaper than having to buy those expensive inkjet tanks for my all-in-one. Brother is often recommended, but what I saw at Office Depot is incompatible with 10.6.7. I would probably not even bother with wireless, instead just plug in the laser where I use the computer. Lots of horror stories out there about problems with drivers, wireless, and cheap build quality.

I remember when laser printers came out I thought they were coolest thing in the world. Now that I can afford one, they're cheap crap.

It's a comment I make about so many products now: I don't mind spending more on a quality product, esp. if it will have some longevity. I don't insist on having the cheapest product imaginable, nor the most disposable. Obviously I have a medieval approach to economy.

Last edited by deniro; 04/28/17 06:02 PM.