I just downloaded the latest version of iOS 10.3.1, with my usual sense of trepidation. I wouldn't have bothered, except that I know that the damn phone would keep harassing me until I finally gave in and did it.

The result:
A previous problem recurred with all of my available storage space having disappeared.

Some idiotic "features" that might be popular with pre-teens have appeared in the messaging app. This doesn't really matter, because with the new update, I can no longer send messages anyway.

I haven't yet figured out what else they've broken with this update. Stay tuned.

The fact is, I utterly despise iOS. I may be a perennial Mac fan, but never ever an iOS fan. I've used Android, and I like it despite its problems. Android is a real operating system. Unless Apple makes some drastic changes to both iOS and their attitude (and we know there's no chance of that happening), my next phone will be Android.

If I want to get my iPhone working again, it looks as if I'll have to do another factory reset, and restore. I have better things to do with my time than spending hours fixing my phone after an iOS update.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6