I just came across a product called Whonix that looks appealing if you are looking for the ultimate in
identity hiding. according to their web site…
Originally Posted By: Whonix.org
Whonix is a desktop operating system designed for advanced security and privacy. It realistically addresses attacks while maintaining usability. It makes online anonymity possible via fail-safe, automatic, and desktop-wide use of the Tor network. A heavily reconfigured Debian base is run inside multiple virtual machines, providing a substantial layer of protection from malware and IP leaks. Pre-installed, pre-configured applications are ready for use, and installing additional applications or personalizing the desktop will in no way jeopardize the user. Whonix is the only actively developed OS designed to be run inside a VM and paired with Tor.
However after looking at the Warning and Do Not pages I decided I do not need that much confidentiality or perhaps a better way of looking at it would be, I am not that risk averse.

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I do not. The only encrypted data I have is passwords and some server logs. I'm not doing anything to warrant much effort spent on me.
I used to feel the same way, but having dodged a few fraud bullets (a $10,000 first class airline ticket from Dubai to Berlin purchased on my credit card for one) and as the internet has become a more and more hostile environment like tacit, I feel the need for a more secure internet environment.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein