Originally Posted By: tacit

Originally Posted By: "Gregg"
I'm not buying that. You are trying to imply that all hospitals not founded or operated by a religious organization are "Atheist Hospitals". No way! Oh, but I'm sure you can demonstrate that's true for each of the nearly 4,000 institutions.

I'm not saying any such thing; what is an 'atheist organization,' anyway? I'm saying that hospitals are most commonly built for reasons which are not religious.

Sure you did. ...and, you tell me. I guess atheists don't organize for the purpose of helping the sick. That was kind of the point. Health care is big business of course, so the profit motive is a big one.

How many hospitals were founded by atheist organizations? Seven and a half times more than were founded by religious organizations!

I guess you "misspoke". The "I'm not buying that" remark was in reference to that quote. I'll accept your revision. smile

How many hospitals have been built by the Assemblies of God, or the Fundamentalist Mormons? How about the Christian Scientists, who hold as a matter of faith that all of medicine is a sin, and that only the power of the Holy Spirit can cure disease?

I don't see a point here. This does not negate the fact that hospitals are supported by Baptists, Catholics, Lutherans, Mennonites, Methodists, Presbyterians, and those of the Jewish faith. (Webster's definition) wink

Anyway, enough of this tangent I interjected. The other stuff is far more interesting.

Last edited by Gregg; 09/28/09 12:48 PM.