Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Given FileVault is essentially invisible and does not have a noticeable side effect on performance, and provides substantial additional security, I have to say I like it. My question now would be, "Why not turn on FileVault?"

Anything that makes your data more difficult to access makes it much more difficult to fix if it becomes damaged.

I've spent hours on comparably trivial problems. Imagine a two-drive software raid STRIPE where the partition table is too damaged to mount the drive. Normally software like DiskWarrior wouldn't mind that, but in this case it can't touch it until the raid is attached, which can't happen if the partition table is bad. (not mounted... simply attached) So catch-22. DW can't fix the partition until it's attached, and it can't attach until it's fixed.

Now spend 18 hours UNstriping two 1tb drives to one 2tb drive. (would you believe I did it in BASH?) Then run dw and get a full repair and hundreds of gigs of data recovered in the next 5 minutes.

Now try that stunt wth file vault. I have. NOT fun. And far from reliable processes, it's different every time and requires a lot of time and trial-and-error. (and it took about a week for him to upload that 250gb block dump from down under, fortunately the repaired one was compressible... down to 72gb)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department