Originally Posted By: kevs
I don't know if you can answer: But if one runs test on Google, (which is my project0, they discount anything if they think coming from a proxy.

1) Is Tor similar to a proxy?
2) Would Google discount as they see you are on Tor which is such a rare browser?
I will answer your question with a quote and a comment:
Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
In computer networks, a proxy server is a server (a computer system or an application) that acts as an intermediary for requests from clients seeking resources from other servers.[1] A client connects to the proxy server, requesting some service, such as a file, connection, web page, or other resource available from a different server and the proxy server evaluates the request as a way to simplify and control its complexity. Proxies were invented to add structure and encapsulation to distributed systems.[2] Today, most proxies are web proxies, facilitating access to content on the World Wide Web, providing anonymity and may be used to bypass IP address blocking.
The TOR network is essentially a network of proxy servers scattered around the globe. The communications between these servers are heavily encrypted and in my experience there are always three different servers in the route. These servers are operated voluntarily and TOR actively recruits users to act as servers in the network. Only Google can answer the question of whether TOR is blocked or not. They can't shoot you for trying.
What is Onion, parent commpany of Tor?
TOR is an acronym for The Onion Router. There is no company per. se., it is an open source project springing from a Defense Advanced Projects Agency (DARPA) project released into the public domain. The network is called the TOR network and the technique used in the network is called "onion routing" because it resembles the layers of an onion. You may have run across it as a technology undergirding the illicit sharing of copyright materials via BitTorrent. (Before you ask, I do not participate in BitTorrent, I believe copyright holders have a right to fair compensation for their work. If the work is overpriced, I do not use it.)

See this Wikipedia article for full details on TOR.
Good discover Tor, did you stumble upon it?
This thread got me started looking for a solution and in my research, I came across TOR. Given today's internet environment I decided to give it a try, and surprise, it works albeit with limitations.
Did you try the Chrome add on Rubber Glove?
No, because others had already indicated a lack of success with Rubber Glove and I saw no reason to "beat a dead horse".
I just did test disabling java script on Safari, no help, no benefit. So Safari, FF, Chrome, those just wont achieve a not being fingerprinted result ever correct? Was not until I changed the setting to Max on Tor that that was achived. Maybe Tor has a secret sauce or something normal browsers dont?

As I reported previously my results were the same as yours in terms of hiding, and yes TOR does have a "secret sauce". Simply stated although the TOR browser uses the Mozilla engine used in Firefox and a variety of other browsers, it is designed and built from the ground up to hide the digital fingerprint and as an open source project there are hundreds, even thousands of developers all over the world working to keep it that way.
Joe, did not understand the "update on ios browsers" too much:
What is "disconnect"?
Disconnect is an iOS app that essentially does the same thing Badger (open source and recommended by Panopticlick) does for MacOS. It sets up a dummy proxy server that effectively blocks merchant tracking and invisible tracking cookies. I use Disconnect on my iPhone and I{Pad and Badger on my Macs and regardless of which browser I am using Panopticlick indicates tracking is blocked.

Oh... you are saying that Tor is not great on ios, but better than nothing?

1. The TOR browser does not run on iOS
  2. There are several iOS browsers that claim to be base on TOR, but as far as I can tell that only means they use "Onion Routing" either on the TOR network or in a couple of cases their own and have little or no impact on signature hiding. VPN.
  3. The Onion router on iOS is the work of a single individual but appears to have been based on some version of the Onion Router and appears to offer some degree of digital signature hiding in addition to onion routing, but the Panopticlick results are equivocal.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein