Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Have you considered FileVault for both your internal and external drives? If not, I am curious why not? I keep bettering on the edge of using it, but so far I haven't taken the plunge.

My position is similar to MG2009's, except that while I have got critical data on my SSD, it's protected by either a 15 or 25 character password, so I consider it to be safe under virtually all circumstances, and in the rare moments that I think about FileVault I decide that it wouldn't significantly improve my position.

"To FileVault or not to FileVault" really depends on your data, its vulnerability, and your paranoia.

More: I've read on numerous occasions that if you're going to encrypt an SSD you should do it the instant you first use it, so if you were to take the plunge now, wouldn't much of what's on your Mac still be at risk?

I occasionally wonder what will happen if I ever sell my deuced Mac(hina), but as far as I can tell, even a buyer with technical competence won't be able to get to any critical data.

SSDs have very significantly changed the used Mac landscape, but I haven't seen any prominently placed, substantive guidance respecting their down-the-road implications addressed to purchasers of new machines

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire