Originally Posted By: MG2009
When I updated to SIERRA, I "lost" the option of SECURE ERASE. That is to say:

1. neither with the tab(s) that use to appear when a window was opened to view TRASH contents,

2. nor using the FINDER's "drop down" menu.

Since I had not changed the HD which came with the 2011 MBPro, there was no intuitive action on Sierra's part to recognize that the machine did not have a SSD or Fusion Drive - but removed the Secure Delete option for Trash anyway even though the "old" (original) HD was still in place.

Nor, I guess, in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility > Erase.

I realize that that's what happened, and I remain surprised by it, because secure erase is a very desirable feature for the many people who are still running spinning rust.

Edit: There must be a way to secure erase a HDD without booting into an earlier OS than Sierra; would booting into Sierra volume 2 and running
Code:
sudo rm -rf -P /Sierra \volume \1
turn the trick? (Note: rm -P is limited to three overwrites.)

Hmmm.. Both What to do before selling or giving away your Mac - Apple Support - 12/2016 and How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support - 1/2017, which were released after Sierra, discuss erasing a disk via Internet Recovery, and Disk Utility for Mac: Erase a volume using Disk Utility (released two days after Sierra) notes

Quote:
Note: With a solid-state drive (SSD), secure erase options are not available in Disk Utility. For more security, consider turning on FileVault encryption when you start using your SSD drive.

which implies that secure erase is available in Disk Utility with a HDD.

VERY confused !

Is the secure erase option that doesn't exist within macOS 10.12 present in its recovery partition?

Can anybody clarify?

Thanks!

Last edited by artie505; 03/11/17 11:47 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire