What I was trying to delete was a Widget. I moved it to the Trash and tried to empty the Trash. Said file was 'in use' and it clearly was not in use. After trying several ways to delete it, I opened the Pkg Contents and started deleting the individual files which I was able to do until I got down to 2 folders: Content and inside that folder was a folder called MacOSX. Both folders were completely empty.

While those 2 folders were in the Trash, I rebooted and tried to empty the Trash again. Didn't work. Ran Disk Utility > Repair Disk. Said everything was ok. Still couldn't empty the Trash. Used TechTool to Repair Permissions. Still couldn't empty Trash. Tried to force empty Trash using Terminal. Still would not empty Trash.

Finally booted into my clone and navigated back to the folders and deleted both of them. Rebooted into my internal HD and navigated to the Widget on my clone and deleted that one as well.

I do not see how an empty folder in a Widget that I downloaded and installed could be critical to operation of OS X.