Originally Posted By: joemikeb
News media have always relied on "unnamed sources" for news content. That anonymity being essential to not only protecting the source from retribution but assuring the source continued to be a "reliable" source. This worked well in the heyday of major news organizations such as the Associated Press, New York Times, the three major broadcast news networks, etc because those institutions spent a lot of effort and no small amount of money "verifying" those unnamed sources information, usually with at least two other unrelated sources. Their veracity was their stock in trade!

I have no reason to believe that it isn't still generally so with the major news suppliers. I think that, even in the race to get the news out first, most are of the view that "It's better to be second and right, than first and wrong". Once in a while an error is made but they are always quick to correct the record.

That's not so with the network-based outfits who label themselves as news outlets but simply make things up, much like the tabloids by the supermarket cash registers. And, correcting the record is something we will never see from Trump.

Trump has hurled many accusations of unfair or incorrect coverage while concocting the stories that he complains about. Most recently he railed against CNN, accusing them of making wrong statements, and he kept on doing so even after they showed that they had not.

Last edited by ryck; 02/28/17 01:08 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C