Originally Posted By: artie505
Am I that far out of the loop?

Aren't there still places where you can walk in and rent a computer by the hour, and don't libraries have computers for those in need any more?

I live in the 16th largest city in the United States and internet cafes with computers you could use were never that popular in this neck of the woods, but now that so many venues offer free WiFi the few that did exist have either closed or given up their computers and customers bring their own laptops, tablets, and smart phones. The only places I know that offer computers for their customers to use on the internet are high end auto dealership service waiting rooms (and those are phasing out the computers in favor of carrels where you can use your own device in private), a high end car wash, and public libraries (my nephew, the head of a rather large city library system, tells me their computers are primarily used to access the online card catalog but people do drop in the take advantage of their free WiFi).
Originally Posted By: artie505
Have cell phones done that much damage?

Damage??? confused

If you insist on assessing blame, it isn't the CELL phone that is to blame it would be the SMARTphone and free WiFi used by a variety of businesses to attract customers with minimal investment.

I do volunteer work with the homeless, with refugees, and underprivileged and fifteen to twenty years ago a pager (remember pagers?) was an essential tool for getting a job and for survival beyond bare existence, five to ten years ago the pager had evolved to a cell phone, and today it is a smart phone. I have known homeless to forego a meal in order to pay for data services.

School districts are more and more often issuing tablets to every student and installing MiFi towers in public and private apartment complexes catering to low income families. Those tablets are required for the students to get their assignments, do their school work, as well as communication between the teachers and parents.

To me that is not damage, it is EVOLUTION. Whether you are in or out of the loop seems to me a personal choice and neither right or wrong, it is your choice.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein