Tacit may have something to offer on this but from the article you cited it appears that at this time there is no way of hiding your digital signature from this technique as It is based upon detectable/harvestable hardware and software information. That does not identify you specifically, it identifies your computer. So anyone using your computer is you. This appears to have nothing to do with cookies or cache files which means Private Browsing would be ineffectual.

A VPN provides a reasonably secure encrypted data path between you and the VPN server. Any site you access through the VPN server will see the VPN server and not you. I don't know enough about this technique to speculate on how completely this would hide you. I venture it would hide you at least to some degree.

In the meantime, given the amount of money involved, I am willing to speculate that...
  • This technology will spread rapidly and will be significant enhanced
  • Other developers will be spending a lot of time and effort developing ways to block this kind of data gathering
  • Some congressman or senator will introduce legislation to make it illegal to block that type of data gathering and someone from the other party will introduce legislation making that type of data gathering illegal. Neither will make it out of committee because it will be too hot a political issue
  • Some sites will attempt to deny access if they cannot capture this data from your computer and others will offer not to gather the data if you pay a "subscription fee" (in the latter case you end up giving them the information they want and pay for the privelege)
  • All of the above
  • Some of the above

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein