Originally Posted By: joemikeb
This story about Time Cook's comments on Fake News is being widely reported. Any comments?

Fake news is not a new phenomenon. During WWI the British embarked on a massive fake news project to glorify the war and make it look like something other than what it was - an incredible blood bath. They did so because, if the reality was known, no one would enlist. I recall reading that the Nazi propaganda machine was modeled on the British fake news initiative in WWI.

Having said that, I believe the fake news of today is worse because the internet has made it much easier to accomplish and therefore people like Trump can aim it at very specific segments of society. And, this audience likely only consumes fake news . Does anyone think that the largest part of Trump's base reads The New York Times, The Manchester Chronicle, The Washington Post, et cetera?

Unfortunately, fake news sites are also read by people who should know better….like Trump. It appears that his following of Breitbart got a very dangerous person into the White House as his chief advisor.

Last edited by ryck; 02/10/17 03:53 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C